old record store day at horizon records
We just couldn't help ourselves... Yes, we are not promoting the usual RSD events that draw the big crowds during the pandemic but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to stock some of the exclusive titles that appeal to our diserning Horizon shoppers. We've got these in the store now! C'mon by or secure your copy now here in the webstore.
Continuing the series of Lou Reed re-issues for RSD Black Friday, is his critically successful 1992 Sire album Magic and Loss. Pressed as a double LP, featuring three sides of vinyl and an etching, exclusive released for RSD Black Friday 2020. (NME 10/10, Q Magazine 4*, Rolling Stone 4*)
Author Stephen King described Ft. Worth native James McMurtry as “the truest, fiercest songwriter of his generation” in Entertainment Weekly. The son of acclaimed author Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove, Terms of Endearment), James grew up on a steady diet of Johnny Cash and Roy Acuff records. 2005's Childish Things garnered some of the highest critical praise of McMurtry's career and spent six weeks at number one on R&R's Americana Music Radio Chart in 2005 and 2006. In September 2006, Childish Things and "We Can't Make It Here" won the Americana Music Awards for album and song of the year, respectively. This is the first time Childish Things will be available on vinyl.
1 See The Elephant 2 Childish Things 3 We Can't Make It Here 4 Slew Foot 5 Bad Enough 6 Restless 7 Memorial Day 8 Six Year Drought 9 Old Part of Town 10 Charlemagne's Hometown 11 Pocatello 12 Holiday
No Business: The PPX Sessions Volume 2 continues the documentation of Jimi Hendrix’s pre-Experience sideman work with the Harlem-based R&B combo. These twelve recordings were captured at Studio 76 in 1965 [as well as two controversial sessions in July and August 1967] and offer a fascinating glimpse of Hendrix’s genius in the years before—and during—his early success. It includes the 1965 demo of the first known Hendrix composition (“Working All Day”) and shiver-inducing guitar playing that hints at the genius to come. While not a Jimi Hendrix album the music is now under the control of Experience Hendrix, and thanks to them has been lovingly restored by legendary engineer Eddie Kramer for RSD Black Friday, giving fans the chance to enjoy these tracks in their proper historical context in a numbered, limited edition brown vinyl release.
Side A: “Gloomy Monday”, “Hush Now”, “No Business”, “Love Love
Side B: “UFO,” “My Best Friend (Takes 3/4/5)”, “How Would You Feel [Alternate]”, “Hornet’s Nest”, “I Need You Every Day”, “Suey”, “No Business [Demo]”, “Working All Day [Demo]”
The Jahari Massamba Unit features Madlib on all instrumentation with the exception of drums, which are laid down by Karriem Riggins. Like Madlib, Riggins is well-versed in both the worlds of Jazz and Hip Hop. Musically, Madlib’s label says “we would call the project Spiritual Jazz, but jazz great Phil Ranelin told us to call it Black Classical Music, so that’s what we’re going with.”
This is an album put together by students of jazz in its myriad and historic corms who are also proponents of jazz’s future. The resulting recording reflects a lifetime of record collecting, musical study, woodshedding, and a reverential respect for one another’s craft. Regardless of categorization this is an exciting an all new entry in Madlib’s Yesterdays New Quintet canon of difficult-to-categorize music.
Pardon My French debuts on RSD Black Friday in an exclusive colored vinyl pressing.
SIDE A: 1. “Je Prendrai Le Romanée-Conti (Putain De Leroy)” 2. “Les Jardins Esméraldins (Pour Caillard)” 3. “Un Bordeaux Pré-Phylloxéra (Pour Le Riche Enculé)” 4. “Deux Fakes Jayers (Aussi Pour Le Riche Enculé)” 5. “Riesling Pour Robert” 6. “Du Morgon Au Moulin-À-Vent (Pour Duke)”
SIDE B: 1. “Trou Du Cul (Ode Au Sommelier Arrogant)” 2. “Etude Montrachet” 3. “Le Feu (Pour Belluard)” 4. “Merde (Basse-cour” 5. Inestimable Le Clos” 6. “La Closerie (Pour Prévost)” 7. “Hommage À La Vielle Garde (Pour Lafarge Et Rinaldi)”
The first official Rolling Stones’ rarities collection, Metamorphosis, was originally released in June 1975 to try to outwit the bootleggers. The release combines legendary outtakes and rarities as well as the wealth of demos that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards composed for other artists, which were subsequently re-recorded by the Stones themselves. The collection includes an orchestrated version of “Out Of Time,” recently featured in Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The Record Store Day 2020 limited edition of the UK version of Metamorphosis will be released on hunter green vinyl and includes a full color exclusive iron-on t-shirt transfer of the album artwork, which alludes to Franz Kafka’s novella “The Metamorphosis,” the story of a man who wakes up one morning to find himself inexplicably transformed into a huge insect.
SIDE A –
1. Out Of Time 2. Don't Lie to Me 3. Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind 4. Each and Every Day of the Year 5. Heart of Stone 6. I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys 7. (Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City 8. We're Wastin' Time 9. Try a Little Harder
SIDE B –
1. I Don't Know Why 2. If You Let Me 3. Jiving Sister Fanny 4. Downtown Suzie 5. Family 6. Memo from Turner 7. I'm Going Down
The Verlaines are a rock band from Dunedin, New Zealand. Formed in 1981 by principle songwriter Graeme Downes, the band was named after the French poet Paul Verlaine, from from whom Television’s Tom Verlaine also lifted his stage name. The Verlaines are also one of the pioneers of the cult-followed 'Dunedin Sound' which was lifted from the explosion of talent coming out of their hometown in the ‘80s and ‘90s. The Chills, The Clean, Bailter Space, The Bats, The 3D's and the Straitjacket Fits all came roaring out of this University town.
The Verlaines’ angular sound made them favorites of bands like Pavement, R.E.M., Superchunk, Cat Power, The Mountain Goats, Will Oldham, Yo La Tengo, Lou Barlow and many others. Uncut Magazine suggested that "before the mp3 replaced the flexidisc, the three axes of the international indie-pop underground were Olympia WA, Glasgow, and Dunedin, New Zealand." From 1985 to 2012, The Verlaines have released eleven albums, most of which are on the legendary New Zealand label Flying Nun. There was a brief period in the early to mid 90's when the band released albums for Slash and Columbia Records, only to go back to Flying Nun for 2012's Untimely Mediations.
Dunedin Spleen is The Verlaines’ first studio album in over seven years. Featuring a blistering and brilliant nineteen tracks, this double-LP will be exclusively released on Record Store Day 2020 via North Carolina indie Schoolkids Records. Limited edition white vinyl, gatefold 2xLP, download card included
1. None Of These Chords 2. Church And State 3. Canterbury South 4. Here We Are Again 5. I Am 6. Dunedin Spleen 7. Anthem 8. This Will Not Go Down 9. A Crib At Flatline Bay 10. A.W.C.W.D. 11. Recurring Dream 12. If They Cut Off My Handselling Poems 14. A Wall St Hooker's Deathbed 15. Snappy Dressers 16. Petroleum Woman 17. Poet's Lament 18. Scientists 19. Way Too Old To Grow Up Now
The Beginning was released digitally and on CD in 2001 by Swamp Records in the US and Audium Records in Europe. Long out of print, this record was Tony Joe's 29th,and the first one where he controlled all elements of the studio. Stripped down and without any bells and whistles, this is Tony Joe recording, himself playing his classic swamp blues sound, and now for the first time on vinyl. Remastered and re-sequenced for RSD 2020 with new art and pressed on clear with black splatter vinyl.
1. Who You Gonna Hoo - Doo Now 2. Ice Cream Man 3. Wonder Why I Feel So Bad 4. Going Back To Bed 5. Down By The Border 6. More To This Than That 7. Drifter 8. Rebellion 9. Rich Woman Blues 10. Raining On My Life
Alejandro Escovedo's critically acclaimed album The Crossing with the vocals recorded in Spanish, pressed on red, white and green striped double vinyl.
1. Andare 2. Footsteps In the Shadows 3. Texas Is My Mother 4. Teenage Luggage 5. Something Blue 6. Outlaw For You 7. Amor 8. Puro 9. Waiting For Me 10. How Many Times 11. Cherry Blossom Rain 12. Sonica USA 13. Rio Navidad 14. Silver City 15. Fury and Fire 16. Flying 17. MC Overload 18. The Crossing
The original Frumpie One Piece release was only on CD. It was a collection of tracks previously released over five 7" singles, from a Bikini Kill-related band who were conceived as a singles project. This vinyl release includes the songs from the CD as well as the one 7 inch that was released after the collection (Frumpies Forever 7"). The personnel of this band was 3/4 of Bikini Kill (Tobi Vail, Kathi Wilcox, Billy Karren), plus 1/3 of Bratmobile (Molly Neuman), and they were sometimes joined by Michelle Mae, who went on to be in The Make-Up and Weird War. The Frumpies were formed in Washington DC during the same 1991 summer that birthed the first Riot Grrrl zines and meetings, which the Frumpies dubbed Revolution Summer.
1 Malice And Discontent 2 I Just Wanna Puke On The Stereo 3 Do You Wanna Donuts 4 Baby Plays For Pritty 5 Alien Summer 6 Fuck Kitty 7 Giveaway Pile 8 Weird Machine 9 Intertube Tomorrow 10 Be Good 11 Whatshisname Hearts The Frumpies 12 She's A Real Cutie Pie 13 Safety First 14 Weary Ingenues And Snotty Brats 15 Duvet Ta 16 Fake Antagonism Rules, Okay 17 Tommy Slich 18 Deliberate Indifference 19 Planet What 20 Fuck Yr. Frumpies 21 Eunuch Nights 22 Of Ever And Now On 23 You'll See 24 Wrong Way Round
Side A: Frumpies Forever / Don't Wanna Go Home
Side B: Turn off the Faucet/ Tell Me
Classic 1983 Live Gun Club recording from the Lyceum in London. This is an often bootlegged recording from a tour which was considered one of their best. A show from that same week was on a DVD called Live At The Hacienda, released by Cherry Red in 2006. The band consisted of Jeffrey Lee Pierce. Patricia Morrison, Jim Duckworth and Dee Pop. This recording has been digitally remastered.
1. “Opening Space” 2. “Fire of Love” 3. “Run Through The Jungle” 4. “John Hardy” 5. “The Lie” 6. “Black Train” 7. “Cool Drink of Water” 8. “Fire Spirit” 9. “Death Party” 10. “Sex Beat” 11. “Goodbye Johnny” 12. “House of Highland Avenue” 13. “Texas Serenade” 14. “Heebee Jeebees”
British guitarist Allan Holdsworth’s 1983 album has only ever been reissued on vinyl as part of a limited edition 12 LP until now. The bonus track on this RSD 2020 release has never been on vinyl before.
SIDE 1: 1. “Three Sheets To The Wind” 2. “Road Games” 3. Water On The Brain”
SIDE 2: 1. “Tokyo Dream” 2. “Was There?” 3. Material Real Bonus Track 4. “Road Games (Alternative Jack Bruce Vocal Version)”
The final piece of the Roxy Music revolutionary debut album celebration and with the full blessing of the band, Steven Wilson’s stereo mix of the epochal work will see the light of day for the first time, available as a Record Store Day exclusive. Limited edition LP pressed on 180g, clear vinyl. Mastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road.
SIDE A –
1. Re-Make/Re-Model, 2. Ladytron, 3. If There Is Something, 4. Virginia plain, 5. 2 H.B.
SIDE B –
1. The bob (Medley), 2. Chance Meeting, 3. Would You Believe?, 4. Sea Breezes, 5. Bitters End
The release of the two remarkable 1965 New York Concerts performances offer a rare and revelatory glimpse into that discographic dark period. This captivating double LP set would be valuable solely for the brilliant music, which finds Giuffre leading otherwise undocumented trio and quartet line-ups that advance his experiments in counterpoint and abstraction from the chamber-like Free Fall into even more adventurous avant-garde territory. But it also offers much-needed insight into one of jazz’s most innovative thinkers at a key moment in his development. 180-gram vinyl.
LP1 / SIDE A –
1. Syncopate 2. Introduction 3. Crossroads
LP1 / SIDE B –
1. Drive 2. Quadrangle 3. Angles
LP2 / SIDE A –
1. Syncopate 2. Quadrangle 3. Three Bars In One
LP2 / SIDE B –
1. Cry, Want 2. Angles 3. Drive
Kickin presents Hi Tide Groove, DJ's Choice 1969 - 1981, a collection of Hi Records singles from the famous (Al Green and Ann Peebles) to the obscure (Africano and Jean Plum). Released for Record Store Day 2020 on 180g colored vinyl.
1. Larry "T-Byrd" Gordon “Contact Off Funk”, 2. Al Green “Love Ritual”, 3. Ann Peebles “Come To Mama”, 4. Syl Johnson “The Love You Left Behind”, 5. Ann Peebles “Somebody's On Your Case”, 6. O.V. Wright “Into Something (Can't Shake Loose)”, 7. Veneice “Stepchild”, 8. Ann Peebles “Slipped, Tripped and Fell In Love”, 9. Africano “Satisfactorize Your Mind”, 10. Africano “Open Your Hearts Pts. 1&2”, 11. Majik “Back Into Your Heart”, 12. Al Green “Full of Fire”, 13. Bobby McClure “She's Miss Wonderful”, 14. George Jackson “Let Them Know You Care”, 15. Phillip Mitchell “Little Things”, 16. Jean Plum “Look At That Boy”, 17. Ann Peebles “It's Your Thing”, 18. Al Green “Get Back Baby”, 19. Willie Mitchell “My Babe”, 20. Ann Peebles “I Don't Lend My Man”, 21.Iota “Love Come Weekend”, 22. Odyssey “No One Else Pts. 1&2”, 23. Donna Rhodes “Where's Your Love Been”, 24. Jean Plum “Pour On The Loving”, 25. Ann Peebles featuring Don Bryant “Man Belle-Amour”
Nightjar is the eighth studio album from Marty Willson-Piper (The Church, All About Eve, Noctorum), originally released in 2008. Considered by many fans to be the best record of MWP's career, this will be the first time it has ever been released on vinyl. Pressed on limited edition red vinyl with new artwork design on inside gatefold. Download card included.
A new project from MWP, Moat, will have a new album called Poison Stream in June 2020.
1. No One There 2. More is Less 3. Lullaby for the Lonely 4. The Sniper 5. Feed Your Mind 6. High Down Below 7. I Must’ve Fallen 8. The Love You Never Had 9. Song for Victor Jara 10. A Game for Losers